I'm so glad you all support my "coming out" so to speak. I think it will be for the better. I haven't been posting as many random finds lately, I've been doing a lot more personal/experience posts, and so I feel like it is fitting. Plus I can always resume random posting when time is crunched.
Today a group of girls from class and I volunteered at the Salvation Army. Mission Statement:
Its message is based on the Bible. Its ministry is motivated by the love of God. Its mission is to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ and to meet human needs in His name without discrimination.
I'm not religious. I'll just get that out there. But I could care less if you are, I come in at the part...to meet human needs...and I think we can all agree that needs to be done. We didn't change any lives, but I had a great time. As is usually the case with volunteering, the people you meet and run across are absolutely amazing. As we stood and scooped food for a couple of hours I realized several things:
1. I miss volunteering. I volunteered all throughout college and this year I worked instead and I miss it.
2. I love soup kitchen work. My favorite soup kitchen is located in Nashville. It is called Luke 14:12 and is run by one of the most amazingly fierce women I have ever met.
3. I love people. I get so frustrated with people sometimes and want to live in the woods and never come out...but then sometimes I am reminded why I continuously find myself in situations that involve communities and it is a nice reality check.
4. I feel fortunate I have the resources to CHOOSE to follow my beliefs and be vegan.
5. I will really miss some of my classmates when I leave. Not just the ones I am close to, but everyone. Their faces.
And now I find myself at home unashamedly checking Ms. Fritz's litter box for poop to make sure she's eating enough and digesting right. We had some problems at the start. I've taken to calling her "my little," something I imagine is short for my little beautiful, precious, I heart you....keep adding adjectives....kitten.
I'm so nutrition sometimes.